Built in 1869, it served Eastham students in all eight grades. The original and remaining of three schoolhouses consolidated on that site until about 1906 when two additional one-room schools, one from North Eastham and another from South Eastham were added. Together they served the Town until 1936 when the remaining pupils moved to a newer building, also located on Schoolhouse Road. The old building (on right) stood abandoned until 1963 when the newly-formed Eastham Historical Society sought a place to house the town’s historical treasures. The school building, then well on its way to decrepitude, was purchased, restored, and became a museum.
A large pair of whale jawbones formerly framed the gateway to the museum, but deterioration forced their removal a number of years ago. One of those jawbones is on display inside the Museum.
The Schoolhouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Open July and August. Admission is free, donations are appreciated.