In 1894, long before the community would worry about the loss of open space, Joseph Story Fay gave Goodwill Park to the people of Falmouth. The name reflected his intent: it was a gesture of goodwill to the town.
The 70 acres of woods and underbrush near Long Pond were actually a state reservation held in trust for the town. It wasn’t until 1948 that town meeting voted to take the park, which by then was almost 90 acres, from the state for $4,000.
Goodwill Park has Falmouth’s only freshwater public beach. Surrounded by town forest, Grew’s Pond is a favorite spot for many, especially families with small children, and local fishermen too. A town lifeguard is on duty in summer. Parking is ample and does not require a sticker. Restrooms are also available.
Within the park’s 86 acres, visitors may choose to play volleyball, horseshoes and other lawn games, or go picnicking, kayaking and canoeing. A new playground on the west side of the park was built in 2016. Two pavilions are available for public use, as are the fire grills throughout the park. Groups of more than 14 people are required to obtain a permit from the Town of Falmouth. Contact the Department of Public Works, 416 Gifford Street, Falmouth, MA 02540, (508) 457-2543.
Wooded paths connect Goodwill Park to the trails around Long Pond, which is popular for walking, running and mountain biking (and for occasional cross-country skiing and snowshoeing). The park is home to a variety of tree species including red pine, white pine, hickory, beech, locust, oak, and Norway and red spruce. This diversity helps to strengthen the overall health of trees in Falmouth.
Access to Goodwill Park is by way of Gifford Street, about three-quarters of a mile north of the intersection with Jones Road. The main parking area is about .3 mile in on the right. The park is open from 10 AM to 8 PM daily.